A number of businesses, such as oil rigs, require hydraulic machinery. These machines work on high pressure for tasks, such as lifting, bending, pulling and pushing, and therefore need to be handled carefully. In general, hydraulic equipment is safe to use, but like with all other things there are a few standard safety and precautionary measures that need to be taken for the betterment of others in the vicinity and to extend the efficiency of the equipment.
Specific equipment, such as biocide fuel additive https://www.lubricon.com.au/products/fuel-additives/, power pumps and hoses and cylinders, have safety guidelines specific to them. But, some precautions hold true for all types of equipment. These include –
- Taking care not to overload beyond the lifting capacity of the equipment as it damages various parts of the machine along with posing a risk to the operator.
- It must be taken into consideration that some pumps have features such as relief valves while some do not have such features.
- To indicate safe operating loads, a gauge can be used.
- Pressure of the system must be checked before breaking any of the hydraulic connections to avoid mishaps. A gauge helps indicate the presence of pressure.
- Also make sure an area is clear before a cylinder is advanced or retracted.
Safety regulations for cylinders
Cylinders are vital parts of hydraulic equipment and must be studied in detail especially their working and taking care of them, especially cylinders, like a lithium moly grease which make the job so much easier.
- The cylinders must always be placed on a firm base that has enough strength to bear the weight of the cylinder. For example if a cylinder is placed on loose soil, it will disappear into the soil while in action.
- The load must be laid across the saddle’s entire length than over it.
- The cylinders must be placed such that the hose and coupler must have clearance space.
- Couplers must be wiped prior to connecting and oil connections must be cleanly maintained.
- Cylinders must not be overextended, the mounting threads of the cylinder must be protected and dust caps plus protectors must be used.
Also, it is advisable for trained individuals to read instructions on handle the equipment and operate it. It should be read before using the machines to familiarize with the equipment parts, it’s various functions and how they work.
The hydraulic equipment further have a number of safety tips which can be known by reading the instructions manual and most important is exercising caution while using the equipment.